After a few weeks without updates, here are some screenshots of our current project!
Work on the graphical part of the game has advanced, as well as the room editor, but gameplay-wise the game is still in a very early stage.
We think the atmosphere and sensation of playing a board game is there, and the game looks great! We hope to improve gameplay by next week and see what we can get.
Meanwhile, next week we’ll start work on the long awaited White Noise Online indoor map!
Hey guys, some updates on our current projects, and new screenshots!
We’ve continued development on our next project, codename SoulStone (until we find a better name!)
The goal of this project is to emulate the fun of dungeon exploring board games, such as Heroquest, Descent, etc. to a PC game, focusing on exploration and combat over character customization or complex inventory management that other games usually feature.
All these with nifty 3D graphics, aiming to look like you were playing an actual board game with miniatures!
Think of a mix between Final Fantasy Tactics, FTL and Diablo, and you might be close to what we want to achieve :).
As for our progress so far, we’ve more or less finished the first enemy, a small Ghoul. These ghouls will be equipped with an assorment of weapons, but they will be mostly harmless and easy to kill.
We’ve also put together a room editor that will help us creating interesting layouts featuring different combat situations, traps, etc. It’s still on an early phase, but here is a sample of what we can do with it:
As for other projects:
- We’ve spent some time trying to add Split Screen support to White Noise Online, but sadly we’ve decided to discard it, the feature proved to be way more troubling than expected (specially the sound), and taking too much from the horror experience. We’ll submit an update next week with small bugfixes though. After that, we’ll start work on a new scenario.
- We’ve received a few bug reports for Avatar Farm Online, but we’ve not been able to reproduce them yet, so not sure of when we’ll be able to submit an update.
Hey guys, how are you doing? Some time has passed since the last update, so here is what we’re doing lately:
- We’ve received some feedback since White Noise Online was updated, and we’re currently working on the first update for the game.
- We’ve fixed the “black screen” issue, but until the update is released, there’s a workaround posted here
- Also fixed the crash that can occur when unlocking bonus content codes.
- Added a how to play section with some tips and skill explanations.
- We’ve been working on 4 new unlockable (by picking up tapes) characters, with new models (not just reskins). Some of them are “very special” characters, some are more common. There’s still some work left to finish them, I’d say we’re around 60% progress.
- We’ve also started work on a whole new level for the game. Can’t tell for sure if this scenario will be included in the first update, or if it will be postponed for the next one, since we’ll have to thoroughly test it to make sure it’s balanced, etc.
- If you have any suggestion to get a better game, don’t hesitate to put them in the comments section! 🙂
- Last week we submitted the V1.5 update for Avatar Farm Online, and the approval process it’s almost finished! I’ll show the full details once it’s approved, but it adds some bugfixes and gameplay improvements, and a new wonder, the Manor.
Hello people, good news today!
- After spending last week testing and polishing things, we’ve finally submitted White Noise Online for certification! With luck it will be approved soon enough to release it this Friday, but we can’t guarantee it.
- We’ve received a few reports on some issues for White Noise (the original) and Avatar Farm Online, so we’ll now spend some doing our best to fix them.
Here is the final version of the game box art too, check it out!
Hello, here’s the update on our current projects:
- Avatar Farm Online update was released last Friday, and looks like most important issues were fixed with it. Some issues remain though, we’ve been reported the following three:
- The game can freeze while playing offline or in the main menu, if P2P score sharing is enabled (which is by default). As some of you may know, this is an issue some of our games have been suffering for years, and we’re constantly trying to fix it without having found yet the exact cause or a workaround. We’re still trying to pinpoint it, and mostly sure it’s related with a framework issue, but can’t guarantee anything.
- We’ve been reported that the game freezes when joining a game having selected “None” in the “My pets” section. We haven’t looked into the issue yet, so can’t tell if it’s for real or not yet.
- Although some of the incorrect leaderboard data was removed, there are still some incorrect entries in the leaderboard. We’re not yet sure if the issue that generated it is still present, we’ll wait some time and see if more of this data appears or not. Once we’ve made sure that the issue is fixed, we’ll just force a regeneration of the leaderboard to clean it up.
- We’re currently focused on finishing White Noise Online.
- We’ve finished almost 100% of the menu interface and gameplay elements, with only minor things remaining. We’re going to do thorough gameplay tests to ensure the game is fun and playable.
- We’ve found the new maps are currently a bit harder than the original one: They have more surface and it’s harder to determine where you are, and where to go, so we’ll probably have to put additional landmarks and signs to help players to get a small idea of where they are looking at. Disorientation is part of the core gameplay, but not to the point you end up moving in circles all the time.
- We’ve also finished all the skins for unlockable characters, each one with its own perks and bio. There’s currently a total of 12 characters, but we intend to add more in future updates if people show interest.
Hey guys! Here’s an update on the state of our current projects:
- We’ve just submitted the Avatar Farm Online v1.45 update for certification, after making sure everything is okay. We estimate around 7-10 days until the process finishes though, so please be patient.
- On top of the features already included in the never-released v1.4 (which was mainly an important bugfix release), we’ve included some new bugfixes:
- Found and prevented a farm list glitch when using more than one storage device or user profiles in the same session
- The game performs better when a storage device is pulled while playing.
- Fixed Warmblood horse harvest money.
- An update for White Noise was just released. It’s just a small update with some minor bugfixes:
- Should have removed or reduced stuttering while playing on some circumstances.
- Fixed Critical Error (NullReference on Player_OnScare)
- Work for White Noise Online is approaching its final stage:
- We’ve just finished animation for the 4 characters. We want to do some additional unlockable characters, so we’ll do some skins using the base models. These characters will be unlocked either by collecting pages or by purchasing other games of ours.
- We’ve added a small perks system, so each character has slightly different attributes (some move faster, some are brave, some have a better flashlight…). We have to test this thoroughly to ensure they are more or less balanced.
- This way, the characters are useful for single player too, since otherwise the character selection wouldn’t mean anything.
- Some characters will be unbalanced on purpose, to add some sort of difficulty selection based on which character you pick.
- We’ve started work on the menu interfaces, and added basic level and character selection screens.
Here’s a gameplay screenshot that reflects the current development state:
These past days we’ve kept working on White Noise Online, which is already showing great results in the character area!
- We’ve got some working animations for the character. They’re not final yet, but we’ve put them in the game and they look great!
- We spent quite some time testing and fixing some issues when importing these animations, so code-wise there’s not much new features: We’ve improved network prediction so players didn’t float as much as they did before.
- We’ve kept working on the snowy scenario, the main structure is mostly complete and we’ve started adding decoration items.
Looks like next week we’ll finally reach the “feature complete” stage! There’s still a lot of work ahead (specially on the menu GUI), but at least we’ll have a fully working game :).
Hey guys, how are you today? Here’s the update on our current projects:
- We’ve had to remove the Avatar Farm Online update from certification due to showing crash reports too frequently: On a prior update we treated all load errors as a critical crash (so the report could be seen), but showing it in some not-really-critical cases (such as yanking an USB device after selecting it) is a failable reason.
We’ll submit the update again next week.
- As for White Noise Online:
- We’ve finished texturing the 4 main characters and started rigging (preparing the model for animations). I’m not posting any screenshot yet because they lack animation and their pose is rather ugly :P.
- We’ve also started testing the 1st scenario, but it’s not finished yet. We need to add some additional points of reference (rocks) so the player doesn’t get lost that easily.
- Meanwhile, we’ve started work on the 2nd scenario, a snowy field.
- As for coding, we’ve added the following features:
- Flashlight cones for network players: You now can get a bit blinded if you look at the flashlight of other players, and see them from a distance if they have their flashlight on.
- Idols: Idols are items on the scenario that can render you crazy when you look at them, just like the monster (but they don’t pursue you). They also emit a sound, so although dangerous, they can be used as a point of reference. We’re not sure yet if we’re going to use them though (the game might end up being too hard), we need more testing.
- We’ve added some stats to the ending screen, much like the ones you see on Left 4 Dead when you end a game.
It’s been a while since our last update! Here is the state of our current projects:
- As you might have noticed, an update for Avatar Farm Online was published past Friday, and had some nasty bugs that could lead to crashes and slowdowns. We noticed this before receiving any report, and couldn’t sleep (literally) until we located the issue and fixed it. We did a post explaining the issue , and we’ll submit the update as soon as possible (we can’t submit it until Friday). It will take some time until it’s approved though.
- We also spent a whole day trying to fix other less frequent reported crashes and issues:
- Fixed incorrect button layout shown in the How to play to sell/recycle items.
- Fixed rare crash ( ArgumentOutOfRangeException – WorkToolTile )
- Prevented rare crash ( NullReferenceException – PlayerStartWork ) (couldn’t find the root cause, but it will be ignored).
- Prevented incorrect scores from showing on the leaderboard (couldn’t find the root cause, but they will be discarded).
- Ensured data is saved when autosaving (A small pause can be noticed now on certain consoles). Should help with the farm lost issue.
- If you have an issue with the latest update that’s not mentioned here, please report, as these are all we have been reported lately.
- White Noise was also updated past week, and we received two reports since then, both of very rare cases. We’ve already submitted a bugfix update for these.
- We’ve also continued work on White Noise Online:
- We had a playtest session on Friday with three players, to check how the gameplay felt. Once a few technical issues were addressed, the game worked as expected, but…
- The game has a feature to force players to stay together (more or less), you can go crazy if you get too far from other players. This mechanic was added to avoid players from exploring the whole scenario in a few minutes.
- But, the game had no way to avoid the opposite: To force players to be a bit spread and not walk in a tight group. This means there were no chances of people disorienting and getting separated from the group (which we think will be the main point of the coop mode), and the monster can be easily avoided if one player tries to distract him while the other players keep going forward.
- We’ve added a new mechanic that allows the monster to appear closer to the group if the players walk in a tight group. It should help in disorienting the players, but haven’t been able to properly test it yet.
- Content-wise, we’ve decided to restart work on the scenario we were working on. The idea was to increase the playable area since the original scenario was rather small, but we got too far and had to reduce it.
- As for characters, they are almost ready to start rigging and animation. We’ll probably show some previews in the next dev diary :).
We’ve continued work on White Noise Online mostly:
- Still working on the networking code. The players and the enemy data is now synchronized: Everybody can see each other, walk, pick pages, spot the monster… and the monster correctly walks around, pursuits players, teleports, etc. The two most important things not coded yet are player deaths, and the lost soul mode after a player dies. Anyway, nothing has been tested yet so lots of bugs may appear later.
- After finishing some landmarks, we’ve started working on a new, bigger scenario layout, with a bigger river and a proper bridge, etc.
- We’ve continued work on the main characters, modelling is almost finished and we’ll start texturing / animation soon.